Last Updated on June 30, 2022 by Curt Cassingham
BBb Contrabass Clarinet
French Horn 4
How to Join
Membership is open to adults 18 and older living in the greater Portland, Oregon area. Prospective members will be asked to sit in and play in their respective section of the orchestra for several rehearsals prior to a decision being made on full membership.
If you are interested in any openings or have further questions, please Contact us. Thanks!
Rehearsals are held on Thursday afternoons in the Community Hall at Gethsemane Lutheran Church, located at 11560 SE Market Street, Portland, Oregon (corner of SE 117th & Market). Please arrive at 1:30, and be ready for section rehearsals at 1:45; strings and wind sections will alternate every other week. Rehearsals conclude at 3:30 PM. Each year the group starts practicing on the Thursday after Labor Day and continues through the end of May (sometimes into early June) before taking a summer break. Please be sure that your schedule permits you to attend all rehearsals before applying for membership. Many of our members also play in our sister organization, the Portland Metro Concert Band (PMCB). Both groups’ rehearsal and concert dates are carefully coordinated, so as not to interfere with each other.
Guidelines for Orchestra Members
- When you, as an orchestra member, have a concern or wish to bring a point befor the Board, contact any Board Member.
- When you, as an orchestra member, are going to miss a rehearsal, miss a performance, or have a need relating to the musical performance of the orchestra, contact the Musical Director(s).
Responsibilities of Members
- Members shall strive to sound and look professional.
- Members are expected to work to improve their musical proficiency.
- Members are expected to attend rehearsals an performances.
- If sheet music is taken home, it must be returned for the next rehearsal or performance, whether or not the member is able to attend.
- Members are expected to appear in public performances in the uniform specified by the Musical Director(s)